As part of the Personal, Health, Social and Emotional curriculum (PHSE) we will be teaching pupils about Social, Emotional and Mental Health. We will do this using the MindMate lessons which have been developed in Leeds by teachers and mental health experts working together.
The lessons have been funded by the South Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group as part of the Future in Mind programme. 1 in 4 adults and 1 in 10 children will suffer mental health problems at some time in their life.
The lessons are contemporary and interactive and will help pupils:
- understand their own feelings
- understand the emotions and mental health needs of others
- ask for help when necessary
- support their friends and families to be mentally well
- reduce the stigma associated with mental health
There will be lots of interesting things for pupils to do. There will be clear ground rules to ensure that pupils are comfortable with the subject matter and all lessons have been created to be age appropriate.
Each half term one of these 6 themes will be taught across school:
- Feeling Good and Being Me
- Friends and Family
- Life Changes
- Strong Emotions
- Being the Same and Being Different
- Solving Problems (and making it better)